Improvisation or Improv is an essential element of the craft of acting. This course reviews the foundational tools needed for actors of all levels and in a variety of performance situations. Through a series of games and exercises, students will develop the ability to perform on impulse and with spontaneity.
Course Goals and Outcomes:
Improvisation helps build the actor’s confidence while also allowing for a more intuitive performance.
Areas covered include:
- Understanding Improv Terminology
- Accepting and Embracing Offers – “Yes Let’s”
- Recognizing the pitfalls of Blocking & Wimping
- Exploring Environment
- Learning to Listen – eyes, ears and body
- Embracing Simplicity
- Finding Objectives, Stakes, and Tactics
- Developing the craft of Storytelling
This 8 hour course will be delivered over a period of 4 weeks.
This course is light on theory and is made up of games and exercises designed to get students on their feet, acting and interacting. To allow students to explore a variety of performance elements, they will have opportunity to work independently, in a pair and as an ensemble to develop this craft.